Since today is 'tax day' it just makes me appreciate the tax benefits received from owning my own home. Being able to deduct the mortgage interest is still one of the biggest benefits.
Top 7 Tips For Hiring A Contractor
Regardless of whether your project is a simple bathroom remodel or a complete house renovation, the success or failure of the project will depend on the contractor you hire. Choosing the right contractor is easier than you think, but you have to do your due diligence.
• Check their License – Make sure you check their contractor’s license and that it’s in good standing. Ask and check those of the subcontractors as well.
• Insurance – Ask for proof of insurance and check that it’s still active and valid.
• Check References – Ask for references and call them. Ask to go see a project or two and ask strong questions about timing, quality, responsiveness and cost.
• Get it In Writing – Finalize the scope of work before you start anything, in writing. A proper contract should be on letterhead and include clear timelines and benchmarks, as well as payment schedules and how completion will be signed off.
• Do not Pay for Materials – If you absolutely have to pay for materials, have them delivered to your property and verify the receipt to show they were delivered in full.
• Only Pay the Contractor – Under no circumstances should you make a payment to anyone other than the contractor itself. Do not pay a person, only the company.
• Final Payment only When Satisfied – Do not make the final payment until you’re completely satisfied with the result.
Jason has lived in the Golden and Arvada area for more than 25 years attending Golden High School and then later gaining a Bachelors of Science Degree in Organizational Leadership and Emergency Manage....
Latest Blog Posts
Have you ever walked into the model home showroom of a brand new housing development? There is nothing more exciting than the prospect of building a home from scratch and starting absolutely fresh